DECIDING WHETHER TO APPLY TO SF-PPTP OR FOUNDATIONS
Please use the following guidelines to make your decision regarding application to SF-PPTP or Foundations. On the application form, you will be asked to check one of these boxes and provide a brief description of your situation. Please be aware that if you accept an offer of admission to either program, you will be asked to submit a non-refundable deposit on July 1 to secure a spot in the Fall 2023 class (please see the Application Form for the full fee schedule).
Apply to SF-PPTP
- Barring unforeseen and unlikely changes in my circumstances, I can commit to the following SF-PPTP requirements between September 2023 and mid-June 2025:
- During this period, I will spend at least a year practicing in a clinical setting in which I can treat adult patients in open-ended psychotherapy
- I can commit to attending Tuesday-evening classes consistently and in person (with exceptions described above) during both Year 1 (September 2023 through mid-June 2024) and Year 2 (September 2024 to June 2025)
Apply to Foundations
- Barring unforeseen and unlikely changes in my circumstances, I can commit to the following requirements:
- Between September 2023 and mid-June 2025, I will be practicing in a clinical setting in which I can treat adult patients in open-ended psychotherapy
- I will attend first-year classes consistently and in person (with exceptions described above) between September 2023 and June 2024.
However, I am not prepared to commit either
- to attending second-year classes between September 2024 and June 2025; and/or
- to engaging in supervision with SF-PPTP supervisors.
- SF-PPTP applications will be prioritized over Foundations applications if there are more applicants than spots. Thus, if you learn before June 2023 that you can commit to two years of classes, it would be advantageous to let the Admissions Chair know that you would like to apply to SF-PPTP instead of to Foundations. Once admitted to the Foundations program, you may transfer into SF-PPTP anytime.
If applying does make senses, you must apply to Foundations
- Between September 2023 and mid-June 2025, I will not be practicing in a clinical setting where I can treat adult patients in open-ended psychotherapy. However, I can commit to attending Tuesday evening classes consistently and in person (with the exceptions described above).
- Classes are meant for trainees actively engaged in clinical work. If you are not currently working with patients, consult Program and Outreach Chair Adam Goldyne, M.D. (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Associate Chair Lara Weyland, Ph.D. (email@example.com) to discuss if applying makes sense.