Please ensure all CE/CME materials are submitted in a typed Microsoft Word document format. Submit all materials to both Aaron Chow at email@example.com and Megan Goodwin, PsyD at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mention of CE/CME credits in advertising is permissible only after the JPPR or PRF materials have been fully submitted and approved. Should you wish to promote your program externally, outside of the SFCP website, it is required to speak with either Aaron or Megan. This is to ensure that your advertising incorporates the requisite accreditation language and learning objectives.
Overview of Program Planning at SFCP
Information regarding Disclosure Form Procedures and Joint Provider Planning Forms
Procedures for Resolving Conflicts of Interest
Compliance Criteria for
Continuing Medical Education (CME)
Continuing Education (APA)
Dear Committee Chairs, Committee Members, and Program Developers,
SFCP is now in a joint provider relationship with the American Psychoanalytic Association (APsaA). APsaA is currently an Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) accredited provider of Accredited Continuing Education (CME) for Physicians. APsaA offers Affiliate Societies, Accredited Institutes and Centers the opportunity to provide Accredited Continuing Education (CME) activities as a joint provider. Currently 35 Accredited Institutes, Affiliated Societies and Centers joint provide CME for members and other mental health professionals.
All CME activities must be planned and implemented in accordance with the ACCME Standards for Integrity and Independence in Accredited Continuing Education and the Accreditation Criteria contained in the ACCME Accreditation Requirements.
SFCP also continues to be accredited by the American Psychological Association and so must also meet the Standards and Criteria of APA in order to continue as a sponsor of Continuing Education (CE) for psychologists.
All required financial disclosure and planning forms must be submitted eight weeks in advance of any program sponsored by SFCP that offers CME or CE credits.
The overview of the steps in organizing a program are as follows:
- REQUIRED: Once a year, SFCP staff will send Financial Disclosure Forms to SFCP committee chairs and committee members involved in the planning of content for any program at SFCP. Program planners/presenters/moderators/faculty must also sign Financial Disclosure Forms. If you identify a guest presenter for your program, please let the office staff know as soon as possible so they can be sent a Financial Disclosure Form. The form must be completed, signed (by electronic signature) and dated attesting to whether anyone has Relative Financial Relationships that might present a conflict of interest related to the material they will present at SFCP. This does not refer to honoraria It is the responsibility of the Program Developers and Committee Chairs to make sure that these documents are completed six weeks in advance of any program/course date.
If any conflict of interest (COI) if found for any committee members, program developers, committee chairs, presenters, discussants, moderators or faculty, the office will notify the Chair of the CME Committee. The Chair of the program planning committee and the CME chair will mitigate the problem using a strategy appropriate to the role that the person has with planning/presenting the program. Any COI that cannot be resolved may result in the cancellation of the program.
If the financial disclosure information is on the first slide (with title, faculty and date of the educational activity) and shown at the beginning of a Zoom meeting or printed at the top of the sign-in sheet for an in-person educational activity, then a verbal disclosure is not required. The disclosure must also be on advertising and webpages that indicate CME credit is available.
- REQUIRED: The Joint Provider Planning Form(JPPF) is the ACCME template that takes the place of the SFCP Program Request Form. The JPPF now begins with questions from the Ensuring Clinical Content is Valid Form. All questions must be answered Yes and a comment provided. Please provide at least three relevant references from contemporary peer-reviewed journals for your program/course in your response to the first question. A completed form is provided as a sample on the website. This section must be signed either by the Chair of the SFCP CME/CE Committee OR by an SFCP Faculty member not involved with the planning of the program.
Many of the questions on the JPPF are the same as on the PRF and all of the sections have explanations and sometimes examples in order to help complete the section. Please read the form carefully and respond to all of the questions. The final section: Criteria for Accreditation of Commendation is optional, but it will be very helpful to APsaA if you can demonstrate compliance with any aspect of this section.
The form appears to be quite long, but as you go through it you will find the questions to be very familiar from the PRF! Please don’t hesitate to ask questions if anything is unclear. Be sure to add citations at the end of the form!
- REQUIRED: Cultural and Linguistic Competency and Implicit Bias Form. All California CME must provide information about whether or not the program/course includes content regarding cultural competency and/or implicit bias. A link to helpful resources is provided. This question was also included on the PRF.
- REQUIRED: Additional information for APA CE. If needed please add additional objectives here. All program presenters and moderators must send in a current curriculum vitae (CV) that shows at a minimum, educational history, years of clinical experience, previous teaching experience and if possible, publications in the areas relevant to the content being taught.
- APPLYING FOR CE ONLY: If you know in advance that no MDs will be asking for CME credit for a course/presentation/study group, you may apply for CE credit only six weeks in advance of the start of the course. Everyone involved in the planning or presentation of the course, must fill out a financial disclosure form. A revised PRF form (link below) must be completed and submitted along with a course syllabus that includes a bibliography with at least three current (within the past 10 years) references from peer reviewed journals. The faculty/presenter must also submit a current CV .
For Study Groups
- You must submit a JPPF each year indicating the exact dates of when the meetings will take place and where.
- Carefully and thoughtfully fill out the learning objectives of the study group.
- You must state and include a didactic portion, including a bibliography for the study group. Credit can no longer be issued for “discussion” only, in other words a study group must be like a class where the participants gain “quantifiable” information they can exhibit and attest to in their evaluations.